Friday, February 1, 2013

My fitness and why I share

A little about my health and fitness journey:

In 2007, I dropped 30 lbs after having my second child. And again, in 2009 I dropped 25 lbs. after having my third child. Both times I achieved weight loss through excessive cardio and a low calorie diet.   I was obsessed with the scale. Sometimes weighing multiple times daily. If the scale went up I was confused and frustrated. If the scale went down I was happy and excited. I was on an emotional weight loss roller coaster.

I kept the weight off for a while, but when I went back to work in 2011, the scale slowly started creeping back up. I knew that I needed to get the weight back down so I started to do what I'd always done, low cals and lots of cardio...and then I came across P90x.
Little did I know that it would be a struggle to challenge my body that way and stick to a low calorie diet.
I wasn't losing any weight, I was hungry and I was frustrated. 

A recent pic of me post-workout
Around this time I was introduced to the networking side of My Fitness Pal. Up until this point I had been using it only for logging my food. I began to add some pals and eventually came across some women and men that became very helpful to me. It was then that my focus began to change from weight loss to overall health and fitness.

I've learned so much over the last year. And over the past few months, I’ve developed a growing  passion to share all of this new information with others!

I do hesitate because most of the information that I've come across is not what TV, the magazines, the fad diets, etc. attempt to shove at us. But because we live in such a microwave mentality society many people voluntarily choose to go along with the lies rather than the truth (which of course requires more effort). They are constantly yo-yo'ing and ending up like the children of Israel walking in circles.

In the Bible God states that His people perish for a lack of knowledge and even rebukes and punishes them for rejecting knowledge (Hosea 4:6)...I refuse.

It's not like I don't understand, because I was completely ignorant for years and I still have a lot to learn.  There is so much mixed information out there that you truly have to find some balance. But I'm learning as I go.

This is why it has become so hard for me to sit back and watch people become so frustrated with their efforts to lose scale weight, I've been there and done that. We shouldn't be content with constantly failing simply because we lack the information (and patience) necessary for success. We should be making health and fitness choices that will last the length of our lives, not simply for the New Year, the Summer or to fit in that dress for the Christmas party.

As Christians we are more than conquerors! We should not be defeated in any area, this includes health and fitness!

~Keshia


No comments:

Post a Comment